The Besenghi degli Ughi Palace is one of the most well preserved Late Baroque monuments in Slovenia and among the most beautiful historical buildings in Istria. Given the historical circumstances, the construction of the the three-storey palace took a relatively short time, from 1775 to 1781. The distinguished and wealthy Istrian Besenghi family commissioned the project to Filippo Dongetti from Milan, one of the most important architects of the time. The stone lion, placed on the corner of the building, was found beneath the ruins of the building that stood there before the Besenghi Palace and dates back to the 13th century. The family owned an extensive library and more than 3,000 of their books and manuscripts from the 16th and the 17th century are still preserved.
Nowadays the Besenghi degli Ughi Palace hosts the Izola Music School and is the preferred venue for wedding ceremonies.