Discovering the history inside the St. Nikolai Monastery
St. Nikolai, with its park and bathing place, was created as a branch of the Venetian monastery S. Nicolò al Lido in the 11th century. In winter, a small number of monks lived there. In the summer, they were joined by numerous visitors from the Monastery. In the first half of the 17th century, the plague diminished the local population and monks left. The last monk left the monastery in 1641. Over a hundred years later, the monastery, together with the property, was purchased by a family from Koper, the Madonizzas. In the time of Napoleon's Illyrian provinces, there was a military hospital. In the 19th century, St. Nicholas was a very popular summer resort for locals from Trieste.