Exhibition opening: Saturday, 5th October, 06.00 PM
tales of our heritage" with the depictions of everyday life as
it once was, and the culture and customs of the Istrian region, shot by master
photographer Ubald Trnkoczy. The scenes in the photos were shot in their
original environment, further enriching the spirit of the history of our
societies which strive to preserve the rich cultural heritage of the past will
meet on the coastal promenade between Portorož and Piran, by the arches of
Bernardin. It will be an event aimed at socialising and spreading the spirit of
preserving a legacy.
participants: Society Anbot Piran with its exhibition of 'the tales of our
heritage'; Gruppo La famea dei salineri/the group »Salt Harvester Family« with
its demonstration of how Piran was developed from salt; Gruppo Ai tempi di
Tartini/the Group Tartini's Times, and their bow to the famous violinist
Giuseppe Tartini; and finally the Society Rosa Klementina, which will impart the
manners of wealthy tourists from 100 years ago by wearing historical luxurious
Ubald Trnkoczy, Society Anbot Piran
Anbot Piran, Comunità degli Italiani Giuseppe Tartini Pirano / Italian
Community Giuseppe Tartini Pirano, Society Rosa Klementina, Portorož
Tourism Board, Hotels Bernardin
The photos exhibited in the gallery:
2. Piran's housewives were known to wash clothes on the town squares, by the town wells.
Hint: Visit Piran and join a 90 minute guided tour of
the town, where you will discover all the important and hidden spots.
Alternatively, take a hike on the historical trail and discover
all the town wells with the help of our Nexto app.
4. Water has always been of vital importance for the people of Piran, especially during a drought. They would often draw water from the town's wells, which became a location for socialising.
Hint: Today the
locals enjoy socialising at various events and at their
favourite inns and cafes.
5. "Mora" is a very loud game of fingers and numbers, which is still played in Istria on special occasions.
6. Fresh fish was sold on the Fishermen's Square in Piran, by the docks.
Hint: Enjoy a break
right by the Piran's harbour (mandrač) in Vila Piranesi, and go on a sea adventure with Vintage Boat Tours.
7. The wooden boats are still renovated the traditional way, in »škver« at the end of Jernej's channel in Seča.
Hint: Just a few steps from »škver«,
you will find the Fonda fish farm. Take a guided
tour and see the Fonda fish and mussel farms. As you sail, your guide will tell
you all about fish farming and other secrets from the sea, as well as explain
what makes Piran's Fonda sea bass so special and delicious.
9. Strunjan's plantations are home to the indigenous, delicious and medicinal artichoke. It grows in spring.
Visit us in May and you may take part in the Artichoke Feast in Strunjan
. There you can taste various foods with artichokes
and join a guided tour through the artichoke garden. While you are there, you
should also join a guided tour of the Strunjan Landscape Park
everything there is to know about the traditional salt harvesting, the lagoon,
and the cliffs by the sea.
The exhibition is supported by Society Anbot Piran, Municipality of Piran, Portorož Tourism Board, Hotels Bernardin and Okolje Piran.