History of Tartini Square
The place where Tartini Square is located today, was once a harbour for fishing boats of Piran. The harbour used to be outside the town walls, because the oldest, partly preserved walls propagated behind the present Town Hall. St. Peter Church stood and still stands outside beyond the walls all alone since the year 1272. The church was restored in the year 1818. This work was entrusted to the architect Pietro Nobile, professor of the architecture department at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna and a court architecture counsellor, and to one of the most important sculptors of Classicism in Trieste, Antonio Boso.
The Neo-Renaissance Town Hall building was designed and built during the years 1877–1879 by Givanni Righetti (1872–1901).
During the years 1885–1891, Giuseppe Moso and Enrico Nordio supervised the construction of the new Court House on the western side of the square. In the year 1894, the harbour was filled in due to bad smell, filth and for health and sanitary reasons, and a large square was built in front of the new Town Hall and Court House buildings. With the introduction of the electric railway, which connected the town with Portorož and Lucija during the years 1909–1953, a roundabout of oval-shaped tracks was laid on the square. The pattern of that scheme is repeated in the design of the present oval-shaped platform, made of white marble and designed by architect Boris Podrecca on the occasion of the 300th anniversary Tartini's birth.
Stone Flag Poles
The poles were made in the 15th century and today they decorate the entrance to Tartini Square. Their original place was in front of the old Town Hall. On the first pole there is a relief of the winged lion of St. Mark. Underneath the Latin inscription reads the following:"GAZE AT THE WINGED LION, WHICH GRASPS TERRITORIES, SEAS AND STARS".
On the right side, there are the coat of arms of old Piran and the Latin inscription: "TO YOU, SEGREDO LUDOVICO, JUST PROTECTOR, IN HONOUR". On the left side of the pole, there is the coat of arms of the Piran municipality, and under it are engraved the length measurements: "PER pertica cca. 232 cm, PAS pasus cca. 190 cm, BRAZ viola cca. 68 cm, MAZ cca. 158 cm, STRO cca. 120 cm". On special occasions, the Venetian flag used to be raised on these pillars.
In the middle of the second pole, there is a relief of St. George, the town protector, on his horse. Underneath, there is the Latin inscription: "WITH OUR PRAYERS, YOU REMAIN SAFE, THE LAND OF PIRAN". On the right side of the pole, there is a chicken leg, the coat of arms of the Malipiero family. On the left side of the pole, there is an unknown coat of arms. The town flag (a red cross on a field of white – the symbol of St. George) used to be raised there.