The Aquarium has its premises at the inner bay of the Piran port at Kidrič Quay No. 4. It was founded in the year 1964, when the Aquarium Society of the Slovene Coast obtained the permit to restore the premises of the old Maritime and Fishery School building. It commenced full activity only in the year 1967, when it came under the management of the Maritime High School of Portorož. In it, there are several basins, which are mainly lit by artificial light, though for some of them, some natural light transpires through the windows. The basins comprise from 100 to 300 litres of water, while the central one holds 2,000 litres. The institution employs an expert diver who is in charge of the impeccable operation of the aquarium system. In the basins, around 200 guests from the deeps of the submersed world can be admired; of which there are around 140 various kinds of sea organisms. There to be acquainted with are the common octopus, common snapper, sea-bream (dentex, braize), wrasse, ormer, bass, in our parts rare red mullet and many more sea animals. Of course, there are also algae, e.g. Sargasso alga, Poseidon alga and cistosirae. In the special room is a big floor pool in which sharks, spiny dogfish, grey mullet, bass, roach, etc., swim. Among others things, there you can peruse lobsters, crabs, eels, tiny sea-urchins and various kinds of sponges.
- From 1st January till 16th January: open from 9 a.m. till 5 p.m.
- From 17th January till 6th February: CLOSED
- From 7th February till 22nd March: open from 9 a.m. till 5 p.m.
- From 23rd March till 15th June: open from 9 a.m. till 7 p.m.
- From 16 June till 31 August: open from 9 a.m. till 10 p.m., open every day (including Mondays)
- From 1st September till 15th November: open from 9 a.m. till 7 p.m.
- From 16th November till 31st December: open from 9 a.m. till 5 p.m.
- Mondays closed
Kidričevo nabrežje 4
P: +386 (0) 5 673 25 72
P: +386 (0) 5 674 72 41
F: +386 (0) 5 674 72 42